Questions You Should Ask Your Mechanic Before You Make an Appointment
» Questions You Should Ask Your Mechanic Before You Make an Appointment
- Do you charge for diagnostic time and will there be a charge for inspecting my car and preparing an estimate? Will I be responsible for these charges if I do not have the repairs done? Will the charges be waived if I elect to authorize them?
- What is your labor rate? Will you charge me for actual time spent on repairs or will I be billed according to the labor rate guide?
- Will you use new or used parts? Can I supply them or do you?
- If my bill is for labor only, what does your warranty cover and for what length of time? What is your warranty on defective parts and the labor associated with replacing them?
- Will you provide a written out-the-door estimate? How am I charged for un-itemized shop supplies and fees? Will all fees, taxes, and surcharges be on that estimate? Will I be notified if the estimate turns out to be too low?
- What happens if I pay for the repair and the same symptom returns?
- Can I get an itemized invoice with the description of what has been done with a list of the parts that were used? Will the old parts be saved for my inspection?